- Scholarship Level: doctorate; Master’s research; Master’s degree in coursework; Honorary awards; All graduate
- Deadline(s): March 31
- Term of ownership: A year
- Value: $3,000 (subject to availability)
The scholarship is intended to assist any Honors, Masters or PhD students undertaking courses/research in the Department of English at Victoria University of Wellington, or students who have completed their undergraduate studies at Victoria University of Wellington and are currently enrolled in a postgraduate course in English. approved overseas institution.
This scholarship was established by Lloyd Geering in memory of his wife, Elaine Geering. Elaine, who held a PhD in English Literature from Victoria University of Wellington until her death in 2001, was particularly interested in Old English and medieval literature.
The scholarship is open to any Honours, Masters or PhD students undertaking courses/research in the Department of English at Victoria University of Wellington, or students who have completed their undergraduate studies at Victoria University of Wellington and are currently studying for a postgraduate course in English. approved overseas institution.
The scholarship is only offered to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents.
- Applicants must be a student undertaking Honors, Masters or PhD courses/research at Victoria University of Wellington or an approved overseas English department (this only applies to students who have completed an undergraduate degree at Victoria University of Wellington)
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens or permanent residents
Completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 PM on the last date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documents (including references) must be received by 4.30pm on the closing date for the application to be considered.
Applications are usually opened one month before the closing date. If no application link is provided below, please check back closer to the closing date. Please contact us if you have any questions.
The fellow will be selected based on academic merit. Selection will be decided by the Head of the School of English, Film, Theater and Media Studies in consultation with relevant school staff.
Recipients must write a thank-you letter and year-end progress report to the donor of this scholarship.
Terms and conditions
- Completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 PM on the last date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documents (including references) must be received by 4.30pm on the deadline for the application to be considered.
- All scholarship offers will be conditional on the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year program (full-time study will be at the level of points considered full-time by Studylink) within the stipulated criteria and duration of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The scholarship cannot be postponed to the next year.
- The scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Partial repayment of the Scholarship is normally expected if the recipient withdraws from Victoria University of Wellington or fails to make satisfactory progress during the term of this scholarship. Recipients must notify the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in relevant events or marketing as required.
- At the discretion of the awarding authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be varied in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.
Office of Scholarships and PhD Admissions
Phone 0800 04 04 04
#University #Wellington #Elaine #Geering #Scholarship #English #Literature #Zealand