We are so car crazy that sometimes we forget that not everyone knows how car insurance works in South Africa. But then we remember that every year there are new people who get their driver’s license, buy their first car or just generally realize how risky it is to be without cover and do their best to find out what the problem is has car insurance on it.
As car insurance is not mandatory in South Africa, you will need to take care of it yourself. What we mean is that people aren’t really taught about insurance when they’re younger to prepare them for something they need to get when they own a car.
Luckily you’ve come to the right place. We have loads of information on how car insurance works in South Africa. And then we took all that information and pared it down to give you a handy guide that you can refer to at any time.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- The point of car insurance.
- The available car insurance options.
- Here’s how to get cover.
The point of car insurance
It’s easy. In South Africa you pay a monthly fee (called a premium) for car insurance. This policy provides some financial protection against the costs of an incident involving your car. Expenses you would pay out of pocket if you didn’t have car insurance and were involved in an accident.
How much financial protection you get depends on the type of insurance you pay for. If you pay a little more for a comprehensive policy, you are covered against many risks. If you choose the cheapest policy, you are covered for a limited number of things that could go wrong.
Let’s say you opt for the king’s motor liability insurance. This covers damage to someone else’s property for which you are responsible after an accident. Simple, if you have a little bumpaccino with the car in front of you, we are here for you and pay the other person’s damage.
But we don’t pay to repair your car because you didn’t opt for this type of coverage.
The available car insurance options
This neatly leads us to the different types of car insurance that are out there. There are generally 3 standard types of car insurance in South Africa. But because at King Price we like to do things a little differently, you’ll find that we’ve added another level of coverage for you to choose from, aaaand our comprehensive option is actually the best policy in the country.
Yes, we know it’s not good to brag… But we’re very proud of it, and now you’ll see why.
The King’s Car Insurance Options:
- Comprehensive car insurance. Our policy is perfect for financed cars, new cars and cars that are valuable and expensive to repair or replace. (That’s pretty much most cars in South Africa.) It covers accidental damage to your car (and ‘oopses’ you cause to other people’s cars or property), theft and kidnapping.
- theft and depreciation. Man we’re reluctantly obsessing over this 1. It’s so different. Basically, you have the choice to only insure yourself against theft and total loss by opting for our theft and total loss protection. In case you didn’t know, a car is written off when it’s too badly damaged to repair at a reasonable cost.
- Third Party Fire and Theft. A classic that proves again and again that a little cover is better than none at all. By taking out this policy, you are covered for loss or damage to your car due to fire, theft and hijacking of your own car, and damage you cause to someone else’s property in an accident.
- Third party only. Ever wondered what kind of cover to buy for the 16 year old Skedonk that you only use for short trips every now and then? This. This is the policy for these cars. It’s the cheapest and really just protects you against the financially disastrous situation of being involved in an incident with another car where you are responsible for all the damage.
Here’s how to get cover
We’ve made it ridiculously easy to take cover off the king. Visit us online (on any device) via our website or our app (we have an app, it’s awesome) and click the bright red buttons that will point you in the direction to get a deal.
Next, choose the type of coverage you want, fill in a few details and we’ll take care of the rest.
How to get car insurance:
- Enter your details online.
- We’ll call you to make some i’s and give you a simple, cheap insurance quote.
- Wipe away tears of joy as you accept the offer for the best, cheapest coverage.
- We agree on some details, e.g. B. when you want to be charged.
- Ta-da! You have car insurance.
From that point on, all you have to do is make sure your monthly payments are in order and make sure you follow a few rules laid out in your insurance documents. These rules aren’t rushed… They’re just there to not do anything illegal and to make sure you let us know if details change e.g. B. Your home address. That kind of thing.
By honoring your end of the bargain, we continue to offer you protection for all those nasty things that could go wrong. Because really, accidents just happen and criminals are really out there and they really *really* like stealing cars.
Want to see how easy it is?
Click here to receive a non-binding offer!