Everyone worries about how much everything costs… And with good reason. With the way our spending is increasing, it’s difficult to decide when and where to spend more money. If you’re anything like us, you probably experience moments of panic when you have to swipe for more than R100.
The thing is, there are tons of household items that you can buy second hand so you can still get good quality without the massive price tag. And yet… There will always be products that we cannot (or should not) skimp on.
We’ve conducted a survey across the kingdom to find out which household items our royal colleagues regularly spend money on, and to be honest, some of their answers were quite surprising.
Here are the top items that we think are worth the extra money
- Trash Bags: The thin, weaker bags tear easily, spilling trash everywhere. Pooh.
- Lightbulbs: The more expensive lightbulbs that use less electricity and last longer are a better choice. Oddly enough.
- Vacuum Cleaner: A quality vacuum cleaner will last longer and do a better job than the cheapest model you can find, which breaks down in a year and makes more noise than it’s worth.
- Sheets: This isn’t about an exorbitantly expensive million thread count sheet set, but the reality is that opting for a higher thread count means more comfortable sleep and longer-lasting sheets.
- Coffee Maker: If you’re a regular coffee drinker, invest in a reliable machine that makes decent coffee so you don’t have to pay for your daily cup of coffee.
- Paint: Cheaper wall paint is more diluted and takes more coats, so you use (and therefore pay) more. It’s also harder to keep clean, so it looks cheap and would need touching up very quickly.
What about the things that don’t have to be expensive?
It clearly saves spending more when it comes to certain household items. But does that mean you have to spend more on everything? Do all the things you use and want in your home have to be more expensive?
no No they don’t.
For example, you don’t necessarily need to hire an expensive maintenance service like lawn care. This is definitely something you can handle yourself if your budget is tighter.
You don’t have to go for the super expensive decorative items either if you want your home to look beautiful, not when the second hand market is thriving in South Africa. Seriously, Instagram and Facebook are teeming with accounts selling high-end items like lamps, picture frames, and even furniture at much lower prices than you’ll find in stores.
What doesn’t have to cost a lot either is the king’s household contents insurance. Because after all the effort you put into choosing which household items to invest in and which products to spend less on, if there were an accident or burglary and you didn’t have coverage, it would be devastating that you can fall back on.
Why choose our Royal Home Insurance?
Some boring insurers only have the 1st household insurance. Not us. The King has gone to great lengths to create 2 excellent home insurance policies, each designed to protect your home in a unique way.
First off, our Fire and Fury option protects your belongings against a variety of risks, but not against theft. It’s perfect for the security conscious who want more affordable cover against fire, explosion, storm, flood, etc.
If you are looking for more coverage that includes theft then of course we also have our comprehensive option.
If you’re not sure what’s right for you, talk to us.
Remember, our mission is to help you!
And if you don’t have home or car insurance at all, then you do click here to receive a non-binding offer today.